Columbus State University Print Logo

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers


General Questions


Workers' Compensation





Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Student Workers






How do I obtain a CSU ID card?

ID cards are made in the Human Resources office which is located Richard Hall Room 228. Once an employee receives their ID badge, Parking Services will issue them a parking pass.

What do I need to do to change my name and/or address?

Employees can updated their name or address through OneUSG Connect Employee Self-Service. 

How can I get a copy of the current job description for my position?

Your immediate supervisor should have a copy of the latest job description for the position you currently hold, so start by asking them.

What are Pay Grades?

Pay grades are a way for the University to group comparable positions together into common ranges of pay, based on job scope, complexity and other factors. The salaries for similar positions should fall within a designated range, or Pay Grade. The ranges overlap, but each range specifies three guide points:

A Minimum (all individuals would expect to make at least this pay level)

A Mid-point (a benchmark to the external market for similar positions)

A Maximum (the most that someone would expect to make for a position in this range)

Who Can I Contact for Classification/Compensation Questions?

If you have any questions or need assistance you may contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at 706-507-8920 and/or email:

When are performance appraisal completed?

Performance appraisals are conducted between January 1st and March 31st of each year. The supervisor and employee meet to discuss the employee's performance during the entire work cycle. Actual results and ratings are entered into the Performance Management Plan (PMP) for each key responsibility and each dimension on the Work Plan. Also entered in the PMP are overall ratings and supervisor's comments. Employees are able to respond in writing to the overall rating at the end of the evaluation period.

Do I need my supervisor's OK to attend OHR sponsored training programs?

Yes. Anytime you want to attend a training program you should have a discussion with your supervisor about the appropriateness of the subject to your job and your development.

Where can I find out about upcoming training programs?

Information regarding internal and external training opportunities are routinely posted on the HR website. In addition training programs offered by HR are communicated via e-mail to the University community.


Do I have to set up direct deposit?

In accordance with the required electronic transfer of funds policy effective July 1, 2011 all employees are required to accept all payroll related payments via direct deposit.

What happens if a time is not submitted and approved?

The employee will not be paid.



Which employees are eligible to take FMLA leave?

Employees are eligible to take FMLA leave if they have worked for their employer for at least 12 months, and have worked for at least 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months, and work at a location where at least 50 employees are employed by the employer within 75 miles.

Does the law guarantee paid time off?

No. The FMLA only requires unpaid leave. However, the law permits an employee to elect -- or the employer to require the employee -- to use accrued paid leave, such as vacation or sick leave, for some or all of the FMLA leave period. The university has made the decision that it will require the use of paid leave to run concurrently with FMLA leave.

When paid leave is substituted for unpaid FMLA leave, it may be counted against the 12-week FMLA leave entitlement if the employee is properly notified of the designation when the leave begins.

Can the employer count time on maternity leave or pregnancy disability as FMLA leave?

Yes. Pregnancy disability leave or maternity leave for the birth of a child would be considered qualifying FMLA leave for a serious health condition and may be counted in the 12 weeks of leave so long as the employer appropriately notifies the employee of the FMLA designation.

Does Workers' Compensation leave count against an employee's FMLA leave entitlement?

Yes. FMLA leave and Workers' Compensation leave may run at the same time, provided the reason for the absence is due to a qualifying serious illness or injury and the employer appropriately notifies the employee that the leave will be counted as FMLA leave.



What do I do if I get hurt while at work?

Employees and/or supervisors should complete the following steps:

  1. Report incident to Supervisor immediately
  2. Complete an incident report
  3. Contact Human Resources at 706-507-8920
  4. Human Resources Representative and injured employee contact AmeriSys to begin case management and schedule an appointment for treatment
  5. Employee reports back to Human Resources after treatment



If I have questions about my benefits or about the enrollment process what number should I call?

Please contact the OneUSG Connect Benefits Call Center at 844-587-4236 Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

If I have a qualifying life event, how long do I have to make changes to my benefits?

Employees have 30 days from the date of the qualifying life event to contact OneUSG Connect Benefits at 844-587-4236. A failure to submit the enrollment change will prohibit you from making changes until the next open enrollment period. The effective date for changes in coverage will be either the date of the qualifying event or the first day of the month following the qualifying event.

What do I need to do to change my beneficiaries on my life insurance and teacher's retirement?

Life insurance beneficiary changes are recorded through OneUSG Connect Benefits 844-587-4236. Teacher's Retirement System of Georgia beneficiary changes are submitted through their website ( , 1-800-352-0650)

Do I lose pension time when I am out on disability?

While out on disability, you neither lose nor earn pension time. If the reason for the leave is medical, the entire time can be purchased. If it is a personal leave, a maximum of three months can be purchased.

Who is our life insurance carrier?

Securian (formerly known as Minnesota Life) is our life insurance carrier. All eligible employees receive, as a benefit, $25,000 life insurance at no cost to the employee.

When can I change my health plan or get more life insurance?

Open Enrollment is designated as the time that employees can make health and life insurance changes.



What is considered a tobacco product?
Cigarettes, cigars, e-cigarettes, pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, snuff, dip, or any other product that contains tobacco. Tobacco cessation products, such as Nicotine gum and patches, are not considered tobacco products.

Who will pay an additional $75 surcharge each month?

  Certified as a Tobacco User Certified as a Non-Tobacco User
Employee Pays Doesn't Pay
Spouse Pays Doesn't Pay
Covered Adult Pays Doesn't Pay
How do I get help if I want to quit using tobacco?

Your USG healthcare plan offers tobacco cessation resources, including counseling. Contact your healthcare plan for more information. Or, information is available on the USG wellness website at

What if I quit or someone I cover quits?

You may update your tobacco use certification at any time during the year by contacting OneUSG Connect Benefits at 844-587-4236.

Do our USG healthcare plans cover prescription drugs that can help me quit using tobacco?
The University System of Georgia is providing coverage for OTC and Prescription smoking cessation products. It will include nicotine gum, lozenges and patches that are all available as over the counter items as well as all prescription products like Chantix and Zyban. This will be covered under the BCBSGa plans with a $0 co-pay for these smoking cessation products. All over the counter smoking cessation products must have a prescription written from a physician in order to have a $0 co-pay. Contact your physician to see if they are right for you.

What if I start using tobacco again after certifying as a non-tobacco user?
Change your certification status immediately by contacting OneUSG Connect Benefits at 844-587-4236.

I do not need medical coverage through USG. Do I need to show proof of other coverage?

No, the only thing you have to do is select No Coverage on your OneUSG Benefit portal.

What is the number to Blue Cross Blue Shield?

The number is 1-800-424-8950 or visit their website at

How do I order replacement health insurance cards?

Employees can order replacement cards by calling the BCBSGa BOR dedicated customer service unit at 1-800-424-8950

How may I determine if my physician is in the network for my health plan?

Go to USG Blue Cross Blue Shield

Select 'Find a Doctor'

Select 'Georgia Providers for Individual Plans and Group Plans' (through your employer)

Complete steps 2 and 3

In step 4, select the plan type

In step 5, select the plan name

Who do I contact for help with pharmacy plan questions?

Please call CVS/caremark at 1-877-362-3922



How much sick and vacation time do I accrue?

Full-time employees earn annual leave time at the rate of 10 hours per month for the first five years of employment, 12 hours per month for the next five years, and then a maximum of 14 hours per month after completion of ten years continuous service. Sick leave shall be accrued at the rate of one working day (8 hours) per calendar month of service.

When must I provide a doctor's excuse for sick leave?

If sick leave is claimed for a continuous period in excess of five working days, a physician's statement is required to permit further claim of sick leave pay.

How many vacation days or hours can I carry over into the next year?

BOR policy allows employees to carry over 360 hours (45 days) of annual leave.

Will I be paid my sick leave balance on termination?

No, employees do not receive payment of accrued sick leave. Columbus State University does pay employees for accrued annual leave.

When is leave posted to a monthly employee's leave balance?

Annual leave is posted at the end of each month.

If I take more annual leave than I have accumulated, can I use sick leave?

No, employees can only use their sick leave when they are sick. If an employee will be out for a period greater than their annual leave balance then they will be uncompensated for hours they do not have accrued leave.

Are both male and female employees entitled to time off for the birth or adoption of a child? How may sick and vacation time be utilized?

Yes. Birth mothers may be entitled to take time off for their own serious health condition (pregnancy -- including prenatal care, medical incapacity related to pregnancy, and post-birth recovery), and may use accrued sick leave for such time off.

A husband may be entitled to time off to care for his pregnant wife (if there are periods of her pregnancy or post-birth recovery in which she is incapacitated and requires his care) and he may use accrued sick leave for such time off.

Beyond those circumstances, time off to make adoption arrangements, or to "bond" with a healthy newborn or newly-adopted child, does not allow for use of accrued sick time; however, either parent may utilize accrued vacation time, or take time off without pay if no vacation time is available, for such a purpose. Such time must be taken within the 12 months immediately following the birth or adoption. USG institutions may require that such "bonding" time off be taken as a single continuous period rather than as intermittent leave.



Can we borrow from our retirement plan with Teacher's Retirement?

Employees cannot borrow from their Teacher's Retirement plan. Please contact the Teacher's Retirement System of Georgia at 1-800-352-0650 (within Georgia) for additional information or you may wish to view their website here.

When can I open a 403(b) or 457(b)?

Employees can start or stop these savings plans at any point during the calendar year. 403(b) and 457 limit, for 2016, is $18,500.00.



Where are the Tuition Assistance Program forms located?

These forms are located in the Human Resource Department and the forms are available on the Human Resources Department website. TAP Form

What is the deadline for the Tuition Assistance Program?

Tap applications are due to Human Resources by the following dates: (If any of these dates fall on a holiday or on a weekend, the application deadline will be the last business day prior to the dates identified.)

Fall Semester - July 15th

Spring Semester - November 15th

Summer Semester - April 15th

Is my TAP considered earnings?

The federal government currently allows up to 5,250 annually, in employer-provided educational assistance benefits, to be "tax free" to TAP applicants. This applies to both undergraduate and graduate-level courses. This amount will be included in your wages (Box 1 of your Form W-2). A tax professional should be consulted for further information concerning taxable tuition.

Are my spouse and/or dependents eligible to participate in TAP?

No, only full-time benefits-eligible employees may participate in the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).

Do I need to fill out a TAP application for every semester?

Yes. Please be informed, however, that one application will suffice for both the Maymester and the Summer sessions.

What happens if I drop a course after the late registration period ends?

One would be ineligible for TAP for one semester.

Can I attend an out-of-state institution under TAP?




What is College Work Study?

The Federal College Work Study program (CWSP) provides jobs for students who demonstrate financial need in accordance with federal guidelines. The program provides financial assistance to students while broadening their educational experiences. It also allows students to earn money to help pay for their expenses. Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis for the actual hours worked.

How much will I make?

You will earn at least the current minimum wage, but the amount may be higher depending on the type of work you do and the skills required.

How will I be paid?

All Columbus State University employees are required to participate in direct deposit. However, your first check will be a paper check mailed to the address that you provide on your "New Employee Orientation" paperwork. Please be sure to provide your local mailing address when completing paperwork to ensure that you receive your pay check in a timely manner.

College Work Study and Institutional Work Study positions are paid bi-weekly.

How should I dress at work?

You are representing your department and the University; therefore, dress appropriately. Your first step is to speak with your supervisor to see if there are any special guidelines on dress.



I am interested in applying, where do I begin?

To begin the application process, candidates must apply for any open positions using our online, Columbus State University web-based employment application system. Please do not mail or hand deliver any materials but download them into your account. Please select a user name and password that you will easily remember.

How do I obtain information on job vacancies?

All job vacancies are listed under the employment tab of the Human Resources website as well as advertised in various publications.

What are the requirements for applying for job vacancies?

Prospective applicants should submit their application online. First time users will have to set up an account through our applicant tracking system before they complete the application process.

What is the status of my application?

The status of your application will update as the hiring office reviews applications. Once an office "closes" a position, it means they are no longer accepting more applications, and the listing is removed from the job posting. It may be some time between the time an office closes the position and when they fill the position. However, for many positions in universities, there can be long lag times (sometimes up to 6 months or more), between the time a job is posted and the time it is filled. If it's still on the posting, it's still an active vacancy.

If a hiring office wishes to interview you for a position, they will contact you directly. If you are not selected for the position, you will receive an email notification.

In addition to checking the status of your application, you can also search the current vacancies, update your application and change the password of your account. When you have completed accessing those areas of interest, always remember to log out. The employment application may contain your personal and private information. Should you have any questions or require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Human Resources at 706-507-8920. You can also email us at

What is CSU's policy on employment eligibility?

By federal law, if you are offered a position, you must present original documentation that establishes your identity and your eligibility to work in the United States. Failure to present acceptable documents within 3 days means you may not be employed. For a list of acceptable documents, refer to

Are background and/or credit checks required for applicants?

All positions at Columbus State University require a Criminal Background Check. Only those position which handle cash, checks, P-card users and/or campus valuables require Credit Checks. Checks may require up to three business days to complete.

Will a criminal conviction eliminate me from employment?

No, however it is important that you disclosed any conviction you may have on the employment application.