Vacation and sick leave hours are accrued based on the status and duration of employment with Columbus State University.
Regular, full-time benefits-eligible employees accrue vacation leave that is pro-rated based on the years of service:
- 1-5 years of service = 10 hours for each full month
- 6-10 years of service = 12 hours for each full month
- 10+ years of service = 14 hours for each full month
- 360-hour maximum annual carryover
- Nine-month contract faculty do not accrue vacation hours.
Sick leave is accrued at the rate of eight hours of each full month (with no maximum accrual). Unused sick leave may be used toward retirement under the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia (TRSGA).
Part-time, benefits-eligible employees working at least one-half time but less than full-time earn and accrue vacation and sick leave on a pro-rata basis according to the percentage of time employed. Temporary employees, including student assistants, graduate assistants, and part-time instructors do not earn or accrue vacation or sick leave credit.
Accrued vacation and sick leave is listed on each employee's paycheck stub.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Any employee (including part-time and temporary) of the University System of Georgia, who has:
- been employed by the University System of Georgia for at least twelve months total (not necessarily the last twelve months), and
- worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period immediately preceding the leave
...is eligible to be granted family leave for conditions authorized by the Family and Medical Leave Act.
The Act provides that employees may be granted up to twelve work weeks of job-protected leave during a 12-month period.
New Update to FMLA
The U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division today announced a Final Rule to revise the definition of spouse under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) in light of the United States Supreme Court's decision in United States v. Windsor, which found section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) to be unconstitutional. The Final Rule amends the definition of spouse so that eligible employees in legal same-sex marriages will be able to take FMLA leave to care for their spouse or family member, regardless of where they live. More information is available at the Wage and Hour Division's FMLA Final Rule Website.
Shared Sick Leave Program
University System of Georgia (USG) institutions are authorized to establish policies through which employees may voluntarily donate unused sick leave to a pool for possible use by another institutional employee who is experiencing a serious health condition or whose immediate family member is experiencing a serious health condition and who has used all of their accumulated paid leave.
- Shared Sick Leave Donor Enrollment Form (PDF)
- Shared Sick Leave Recipient Request Form (PDF)
- Physician's Certification Form (PDF)
Columbus State University has established 12 official paid holidays per year for its employees. An exact schedule of these holidays is published each year by the university administration.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King's Birthday
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving (and Friday)
- Winter Holiday Break (5 days)
These holidays are in addition to earned vacation time and are observed in accordance with the rules and regulations set forth by the university.